Questions VU

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• In case this doesn't make sense as a first post in a thread, I should explain that it was originally an "antwort" in the thread:
      Vu+ Support Forum » --== Vu+ DUO und Image ==-- » Allgemeines Vu+ DUO » Frontprozessor, ja oder nein?
      It got moved here without an explanation. I apologise for posting in English in a thread that was (mostly) German, but I re-read the rules and that isn't forbidden.
      If English and German languages must always be kept separate then I hope the team members are good at passing ideas between the two language areas !

Sorry for using English, I had hoped to summarise this thread for English-speakers (and also maybe to confirm I understood it correctly), but a few of my own opinions have crept in as well !

It is normal for a PVR to use much lower power in "standby" (when waiting to make a scheduled recording). My IPBOX9000 takes 5W, a NanoXX 9800HD takes 4W, but these days 1W or less is becoming more common (Humax Foxsat-HDR, Technomate TM-7100, Icecrypt S-4000).

To get low power when not in use, yet wake up in time to make a scheduled recording, the PVR needs a secondary low-power processor (which in this thread is called a "front processor"). In the best implementations, there will be a small battery associated with the low-power processor, so the timekeeping and the information about the next "wake-up time" won't be lost during a short power failure.

If I understood this thread right, VU+ didn't include this low-power processor in the DUO, so although it has a "deep-standby" mode (1W consumtion) it should not be left there if you want to make timed recordings. Though presumably the remote control will wake it up from "deep standby", so there must be some limited processing active in "deep standby" ?

This is disappointing and will stop some people (including me, probably) from buying this box.

Why did VU+ do this ? Maybe it was a big mistake, or else the target customers will always want to leave it switched on (for a reason we are not allowed to discuss in this forum !).

But here is the biggest problem, in my eyes. I just downloaded the "data sheet" from vuplus.com. Here the box is described as a "PVR", and the power consumption is quoted as "1W in standby". If the box can't wake up to make a recording from the 1W "standby" then this is DISHONEST !

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Branta ()

• For Vu+ Duo there will be an Hardware upgrade.
      Pustekuchen ist keine Blume.

Vu+ DUO - 500GB HDD (Samsung EcoGreen F2) - Vu+ DUO - 500GB HDD (Samsung EcoGreen F3)
      Vu+ SOLO - 500GB HDD (WD Mybook Essential 2,5") - Samsung USB DVD Brenner
      DM800 - Abcom IPBox 910 - Opticum HD TS 9600
      Zotac Mag Mini als Medialplayer - Buffalo Drive Station Pro als NAS

• But here is the biggest problem, in my eyes. I just downloaded the "data sheet" from vuplus.com. Here the box is described as a "PVR", and the power consumption is quoted as "1W in standby". If the box can't wake up to make a recording from the 1W "standby" then this is DISHONEST !

This had already been criticised in this Forum. As a consequence (for the misleading daa sheet), Marusys will offer (deliver for free?) an 'easy to install' service-kit, to enable scheduled recording out of the deep standby mode to vu+ duo owners.
      Wie soll man lügen, wenn man die Wahrheit nicht kennt?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von mena1309 ()

• Many thanks for this clarification.

I had seen the criticism about the VU+ datasheet, I had not properly understood that a hardware upgrade was promised.

Presumably at some future date all new units will already include the upgrade (as nobody changed the datasheet !).

I'll keep watching this thread in case anyone reports when the upgrade is available.

Thanks
    • Original von Branta
      Many thanks for this clarification.
      Presumably at some future date all new units will already include the upgrade (as nobody changed the datasheet !).

There will be a new box revision, releasedate not known yet, maybe end of 2010

Vu+ DUO - 500GB HDD (Samsung EcoGreen F2) - Vu+ DUO - 500GB HDD (Samsung EcoGreen F3)
    • Maybe the next delivery contains the new hardware upgrade and our old customers can get a kit or buy.
      VU+Ultimo4K
      VU+Uno4KSE
      Vu+Solo2SE
    • It was already mentioned, that customers will get an upgrade kit. But there is noch information about an implemented fix in upcoming delivery

• Kit isn't available until now. There will be further informations when kit becomes available.