Infinite reboot loop, crashes, VU+ Solo 4k

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Infinite reboot loop, crashes, VU+ Solo 4k

Hello,

I have new VU+ Solo 4k stuck in infinite loop. I had several crashes and reboots on the very first day, with original VU+ image. It rebooted three times in a row when I tried to do initial scanning of the channels right after turning it up for the first time. Then it worked fine for a couple of hours, only to crash again, with "we are really sorry.." message. Unfortunately I did not have time to take the photo of the message. Now my receiver is stuck in infinite loop, I tried turning it off, unplugging it, but it doesn't help. I can log into the device through SSH though.

Do I have a malfunctioned device? What can I try to get it to work again?

Thanks

Jason
    • Hi,
      firstly, we all strongly suggest you to flash your Solo4k with the VTi image (download from the Database section above).
      Secondly, if your box crashes, it usually leaves a crash log in /media/hdd which you can inspect and upload here. But because almost no one uses the original image, you won't get too much help here.
      Diskutiere nie mit einem Idioten. Er zieht dich auf sein Niveau runter und schlägt dich mit seiner Erfahrung.
    • Unfortunately I do not have hdd yet, so no log. For future reference can log be written to a usb stick?

This is a used receiver btw, and I can still return it, so I would like to install the most stable image to eliminate possible hardware problems. Would that be VTi?

Also is there some self-check program that can detect various hardware issues with the receiver?
    • The crash logs are written to /media/hdd, no matter if you have installed a hdd or not. That path then lies in flash memory.

The current VTi image definitely is a stable image, that I can only recommend you to install and use.

Other than the default Linux log files (/var/log/messages) I don't know of any hardware diagnosis tools. [There is smartd and smartctl for monitoring hard disks, but obviously doesn't help you here...]
      Diskutiere nie mit einem Idioten. Er zieht dich auf sein Niveau runter und schlägt dich mit seiner Erfahrung.
    • You are right I have the logs, thanks! I have 380 crash logs, mostly the size and content.

Here is one of the logs with over a thousand lines, I have about 120 of these.

Here is a smaller one, 19 lines, I have 200 of these

Some logs do not have any useful information. 48 logs that are completely empty, and 50 something contain just the header.

I would appreciate if someone can take a look.
      Dateien
      • Crashlog1.xml

(74,17 kB, 20 mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
      • crashlog2.xml

(833 Byte, 2 mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von ditschi1691 ()

• Crashlog 1 has one exception logged in it from the plugin "bitrateviewer"; the crash log from the original image looks a little different from the ones from VTi image, so I'm not sure if uninstalling that plugin resolves your problem, but you might try. Anyway, I can only repeat myself: consider installing the current VTi image.
    • I plan on installing VTi image, but because I have reasons to believe that hardware may be faulty I wanted to attempt to examine and resolve this first to make sure the issue is software and not hardware. How do I uninstall the plugin during a reboot loop? Someone suggested to delete the plugin directory, which I did (I moved it), but receiver is still in the reboot loop.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von JasonW8 ()

• Remove - not move - the directory. Renaming it doesn't remove the plugin. From the command line (you mentioned SSH in your first post ^^ ) you could have done the following:

opkg list | grep bitrateviewer # this should give you something like enigma2-plugins-extensions-bitrateviewer

opkg remove enigma2-plugins-extensions-bitrateviewer # that would have removed the plugin in a clean way

Regarding the crash: please attach the latest (non empty) crash log for review. You can safely remove the rest of them.
    • As recommended by someone else I removed /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BitrateViewer/ (by moving it to home dir in case this wasn't the clean way of uninstalling the plugin). I moved it back.

I tried what you suggested, but I can't seem to remove the plugin.

root@vusolo4k:~# opkg list | grep bitrateviewer
      enigma2-plugin-extensions-bitrateviewer - experimental-git20110215-r13 - extensions-bitrateviewer BitrateViewer
      enigma2-plugin-extensions-bitrateviewer-dbg - experimental-git20110215-r13 - extensions-bitrateviewer (debug) extensions-bitrateviewer (debug)
      enigma2-plugin-extensions-bitrateviewer-dev - experimental-git20110215-r13 - extensions-bitrateviewer (development) extensions-bitrateviewer
      enigma2-plugin-extensions-bitrateviewer-staticdev - experimental-git20110215-r13 - extensions-bitrateviewer (static development) extensions-bitrateviewer
      root@vusolo4k:~# opkg remove enigma2-plugin-extensions-bitrateviewer
      No packages removed.

Should I try --force-remove?

Here is new crash log, I do not see BitrateViewer being mentioned any longer.
      Dateien

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von JasonW8 ()

• No, no need; (btw. the command I gave you should have read "opkg list-installed", not "opkg list"). The plugin cannot be loaded from the home directory, so you kind of successfully uninstalled it. Have you restartet your box thereafter? If that doesn't resolve your problems, I'd suggest the following:

You can always flash back the original image, it can be downloaded from code.vuplus.com. (You seem to have installed the following version: vuplus-image-vusolo4k-20170223171603_usb.zip.)
      Now download the VTi image from the Database (link on the top of the page), install it, go through the installation wizard and check if the error is resolved.
      If not: reflash the original image and return the box if you want (though I guess the error will have gone with the VTi image).

Your new crashlog doesn't seem to have a crash inside; do you have installed an additional DVB-T2/DVB-C tuner? Did you try to run a service scan for DVB-C channels? The log complains about a missing /etc/tuxbox/cables.xml file.

The problem here is, that the original image doesn't record an obvious reason for the crash...
    • I have DVB-T2/DVB-C tuner, I scanned the channels before, which caused receiver to restart three times (right off the gate, after plugging it in for the first time), and then everything was working fine for a couple of hours, until I got stuck in this reboot loop.

Btw BitrateViewer was the last plugin I installed, so it seemed likely that it caused this issue. But if that is the case why is it still rebooting?
    • Btw this receiver (which was sold to me as brand new) is a return, it was obviously opened before, and the store basically admitted it by offering me a discount, exchange or full refund.

I considered keeping it and taking the discount (mostly because I don't want to go through the hassle of shipping it back and waiting for a refund or a new one) but after all this maybe the smartest thing to do would be to return it.
    • Well, it had to be opened to install the additional tuner in the first place. But as I suggested before: before returning the box you should try the VTi image. You can safely do this, because you can always return to the original image.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von rdamas ()

• That is interesting point about installing tuner, does VU+ do that or the store selling the receiver?

The reasons why I am still sceptical though are:

1) The box was tore up on one side, I would assuming they would be more careful than that when installing tuners on a brand new item.
      2) There were some particles, including a relatively large one, under the protective cover, which I would guess were there because it was reapplied.
    • Well, the receiver has been built to install an additional tuner on your own. If that were a dangerous process, do you believe that VU+ would have brought it in the market? I don't believe that VU+ installs additional tuners themselves. The shops usually offer different configurations, and I guess they assemble them as well.

I don't think there is a hardware error present here, but you could upload the file /var/log/messages from your box here - I will take a look; if there is a hardware error, it should show up in that file when a kernel driver can't handle an unexpected state.
    • What could be the reason it is missing? Here are all the files in /var/log

boot
      cores
      dmesg
      log.nmbd
      log.smbd
      wtmp

I'll attach messages.0 too, but it is largely the same thing, only with some more lines appended at the bottom.
      Dateien
      • messages.0.txt

(204,85 kB, 2 mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von JasonW8 ()